TRIBUTE TO THE FALLEN MEMBERS OF THE I.P.L.O

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Republican Hunger Striker's Parade.

irish32

This below is taken from Newry Republican's blog.

On Sunday thousands of Irish Republicans came together to commemorate the memory of the 22 Republican hungerstrikers who gave their lives.

Several flute bands also took part including the Naomh Pádraig Independent Flute Band from Kilkeel, St Pats Independent RFB from Hamilton, Scotland, Carrickhill Independent RFB from Belfast and the Pride of Eireann RFB from Portadown.

The parade was twice attacked by loyalists in the city centre and then at Millfield, but this did not deter the Republicans from commemorating their fallen comrades.

When the parade reached Dunville park on the Falls Rd, the names of the 22 hunger strikers were read out and white doves were released, that was followed by Amhrán na bhFiann. This was a non-party political event and no political speeches were made.

There was a massive presence of heavily armed riot clad members of the British Militia for the duration of the commemoration, there were also dozens of armoured landrovers and a helicopter which flew extremely low over the commemoration almost drowning out the noise of the flute bands.

The Carrickhill band then made their way home just like they have done many times over the years, but this time they were faced with a crowd of 200 loyalist bigots. The loyalists once again attacked the commemoration and those taking part in it. Bricks, bottles and lumps of concrete rained down on the marchers, this resulted in a few minor injuries with 1 band member being hospitalised, thankfully and to their credit the marchers remained peaceful and dignified.

This was the first Independent Hungerstrike commemoration and was a very successful event which is proven by the large numbers that attended.

Fair play to the organisers of this event, Its clear that Republicanism is constantly growing and people are once again taking to the streets

May 5, 2010 at 9:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

irish32

I have seen some footage of this on YouTube at this present time uploaded by a loyalist or unionist supporter claiming that republicans were trying to start trouble during the parade, but his videos show no proof of republicans attacking Protestants.  They object to republicans walking through Belfast and some young boys following behind the flute band at the end chanting "Up the IRA".  I just hate it when those unionists twist things around...and of course they don't mention that one of the republican flute band member's ended up in hospital after the event.  Why would republicans want to cause trouble while remembering the fallen ones?  Unionists trying to blacken republicans once again.  They have short memories...it was not that long ago they were attacking republicans holding a peaceful protest during the RIR march of shame in Belfast with nuts and bolts including fireworks, and they say they are not the ones being sectarian!  Right, I got that off my chest.  Sorry to rant on.  It just annoys me when unionists go out of their way to try and ruin a peaceful respected parade even though there are small children at the event and taking part in it too.

May 5, 2010 at 10:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Newry Republican

Thanks for posting this comrade and thanks for visiting my blog, much appreciated

--

"Never will they label our liberation struggle as criminal!"

May 6, 2010 at 5:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

irish32

Thanks to you for high lighting the event.  I was hoping that you didn't mind me copying from your blog, but I just get a bit wound up when I hear the Irish being treated unfairly and accused of things like starting trouble when this indeed is not the case.  Remembering the fallen ones should always be a peaceful event.  I know this can be hard with the opposition coming to the scene to stir the pot.  Yes, I like to visit your blog as you always keep it up to date and get the truth out there.  It is the best one that I have come across because you tell it how it is.  I have read about the posters that supported the POWs were tore down by Sinn Fein.  This has been happening too in Dublin a friend told me and painted slogans in support of Colin Duffy were all painted over.  The POWs would be saddened at this.  It is a bit like the time not that long ago that Sinn Fein had taken down the tri-colour flags, but allowed the union flags to stay up.  Sinn Fein stated that they didn't want to upset their unionist neighbours...but what about their own republicans?  Sinn Fein need to sort out which side they really are on because they are not sounding like they support republicanism at all even though they state they are in full support of the republicans.  They are not showing it if they are putting unionists first over republicans.  Anyway, that is just my opinion so to any Sinn Fein supporters on this site please don't take offence. 

May 7, 2010 at 12:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.